Monday, October 1, 2018



#0016 - Stormcloud Rist



Boo, everybody. It's that time of year again. Kicking of this Spooktacular month of scares, I have another first in my drawing count: Rists.
The idea behind the Rist is are the equivalence of Ghosts in my fantasy world. The name is based on the word 'Spirit', but simply removing the 'I' & 'P' and giving the letters a little jumble. Again, I marvel at some of design choices I came up with as a Youth.

The Rists that haunt the Kingdom of Portentia have their own unique quirks about them. Some can only interact with Organic Matter, some perpetually affect the weather around themselves and some even enjoy eating food, even in death.

Most if not all of these spirits cannot be seen without warding candles being lit or with a powerful set of words being spoken inside a magic circle.

Image result for ringu sadako

Obviously, this drawing takes inspiration from the 1998 Japanese Horror Film, Ringu and the Character of Sadako Yamamura.
While I'm on the topic of Japanese Horror Films, I'm going to give a couple of recommendations (Since I doubt that I'll end up on this topic again in the Future):

Dark-Water-2002-film-poster.jpg 

 Dark Water (2002) - A recently divorced Mother moves with her Daughter to a run down apartment complex and deals with bizarre occurrences that chip away at her sanity. I really enjoyed the acting between the mother and daughter and grew to care about them both as the film progressed.  It's a little slowly paced, but I loved every creepy moment of this Supernatural Drama.

Infectionposter.jpg 

Infection (2004) - Set in a small, understaffed Hospital that has just lost its funding, the staff decide to close down further admittance so that they may care for the patients they already have until they can transfer them to different hospitals in the morning. But bizarre things happen that evening when an Ambulance arrives with a patient carrying an unknown infection. This movie doesn't skip on the gore, so view at your own discretion.

Okay. Thanks for indulging me. Back to the drawings.

 

Bestiary Description:
Filled with so much hatred that it literally pours our from its head in liquid form, these vengeful spirits inhabit areas with a history of tragedy or loss. Graveyards, Derelict Houses and Hospitals...basically anywhere you wouldn't want to be caught late at night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment